Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Module 2 - EDUC 7105

I think the video shows another way that two theorists  do not fully agree on the theory approaches.  Similar to the blogs we read. 
Kerr and Kapp both expressed their views of behaviorism, constructivism, and cognitivism.  Each of these theories have been around for many decades, but are still viewed and studied to determine how the human brain learns and reacts.  For myself, I have studied the -isms while working on my undergraduate work and graduate work.  The information is not new, but in reading about Piaget, Skinner, and Vygotsky I remember things I should be doing in a classroom, but have pushed to the way side as many teachers often do is these crazy educational times.


I agree with Kerr's statement, "It seems to me that each _ism is offering something useful without any of them being complete or stand alone in their own right".  As an educator you can take these theories and use them to apply to the students you teach.  I look at how my students brain/thoughts are working (cognitivism) while I'm also seeing what rewards work to keep them focused and learning (behaviorism). 




Kapp, K. (2007, January 2). Out and about: Discussion on educational schools of thought [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.kaplaneduneering.com/kappnotes/index.php/2007/01/out-and-about-discussion-on-educational/

Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _isms as filter, not blinker [Web log     post]. Retrieved from http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html
 
Cognitive Learning Theorists. [Online video]. (2010) Retrieved September 27, 2011, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sy8n5DRa7A&NR=1

2 comments:

  1. Kellie,

    Well done. I also agreed that, in order to be effective, the -isms must be combined and applied appropriately. I used to view each theory as a separate school of thought, but I'm now seeing them as components of a broader school of thought, that being Effective Teaching Strategies. It's an important distinction that, I believe, will really help educators begin to use these strategies effectively.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kellie,
    I agree that we learn things and attempt to use them in the classroom only to have to discard them when other matters take precedence in the classroom. I attended a very liberal Fine Arts University for my Bachelor's and Master's degrees, and we were often taught to throw isms out the window in order to be more creative. I have since learned that isms can aid in creativity. They can open up thought and discovery that was not before possible.
    -Marc

    ReplyDelete